First – thank you for the many people who took time to read through the last post and the many many comments. I was surprised at the depth of feeling and hope that I have not re-started any once forgotten problems.
Reading through what has been written, I think I have a better handle on my position. Or at least a way of expressing it:
- No wild animals should ever be taken from the wild and kept as a pet.
- I think that hedgehogs, of whatever species, belong in the wild.
- Pet hedgehogs (African species, possibly hybrids, and possibly subject to 10 or 20 generations of captivity) are unable to be returned to the wild.
- The welfare of any hedgehogs that are kept in captivity should be paramount.
- Breeding hedgehogs for profit is likely to lead to a reduction of the quality of conditions in which hedgehogs are kept.
- If you are going to look after a pet hedgehog then please use this position to help promote the really important issues surrounding the well-being of ‘real’ hedgehogs out in the wild.
- ‘They are just so cute’ is NOT reason enough to keep an animal in captivity (these are not animated teddy-bears). Read More →